POST #7.1 - TIPS FOR WATER INTAKE
Even with Lemon or your favorite oils in water, it can be hard to get enough hydration. The general rule of thumb is to consume ½ your weight in oz per day. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs, you should be drinking 70 oz of water per day. Having an app, a reminder set on your phone, or a water bottle that tracks intake for you can be helpful. Here are some more of our favorite tips:
● Splurge on a reusable water bottle – When something’s right in front of you, it’s hard to ignore. Having a fun water bottle by your side can make it even more exciting to drink water morning, evening, and night. Remember, it’s better to drink slowly than gulp it all down at once. If you’re adding oils to your water, remember to use glass or stainless steel only, not plastic!
● Forget plain water – Not sure how you’ll come close to drinking your fill of fluids throughout the day? Try adding natural ingredients to your water, like fresh strawberries, cucumbers, citrus slices, or your favorite essential oils. Remember to start with just a few oil drops. You can always add more.
● Eat more water-filled foods – While fruits and vegetables are good for you because of all their nutrients—including vitamins, minerals and fibers—they also contain large amounts of water. In fact, cantaloupe, watermelon, leafy greens, and tomatoes all contain 90% water!
● Switch up your snacks – Instead of reaching for pretzels, crackers, or cookies, choose fresh or frozen fruits with yogurt or cut-up veggies with hummus when your blood sugar runs low. Paired with protein, these fruits and vegetables can give you the added boost to get through your afternoon.
● Make small lifestyle changes – If you exercise a lot, you might need more than water. Try coconut water post-workout to help replenish electrolytes. Avoid alcohol consumption if you’re already feeling dehydrated, as it increases your fluid loss.
Which tip will you try first to increase your water intake? What seems most realistic for you? How much more water do you think you should be drinking every day?